background

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Cloth Diapering: 2 weeks in

We began cloth diapering (CDing) the day we got home from the hospital.  I am by no means a CDing expert, but I feel I have a pretty good handle on CDing a newborn.  So far, CDing hasn't really been a big deal and it doesn't seem like extra work.  I love that I just do an extra 3 loads of laundry each week and don't have to worry about running to the store for diapers.  I also love that I am not exposing my baby to extra chemicals and that we are not adding extra waste to the landfills.  Here are my reviews on what we have used thus far.  Keep in mind that Genevieve was 7 lb 9 oz at birth and is now close to 9 lbs.

1.  Kissaluvs size 0 (often called KL0s): Right now, these are in our top 2 go-to diapers.  They aren't incredibly absorbant, but we just add in a Kissaluv doubler for extra absorbancy.  These fit great and aren't too bulky in my opinon.  They are very easy to use and have a snap down for the umbilical cord stump.  These wash great and dry relatively fast.

2.  Bumgenius 3.0 AIO XS: Seriously, these are our favorite for her age.  Unfortunately they have been discontinued.  I purchased mine used off of www.diaperswappers.com and I actually just got some brand new seconds for $6 from www.cottonbabies.com.  Anyway, they are super user friendly, contain EBF poo well, wash well (no stains), and dry really fast.  Too bad these were discontinued!  I wish I would have purchased more!  We did have one pee leak with these, but that is because the babe slept 6 hours through the night.  It was our fault for not changing her sooner, but hey, we are sleep deprived new parents.

3.  Thirsties Duo Wrap Cover: We have these in size 1 snaps and they are our go-to cover for the KL0s.  The double leg gussets do a fantastic job at holding everything in and we have had no leaks with these.

4.  Rumparooz NB Cover: Another great cover.  It also has the double leg gussets, so we haven't had any leak issues.

5.  Bummis Super Brite in NB: This cover was just so-so for me.  We were only able to use it for maybe 4 or 5 days before it became too small.  This would be a great option for smaller babies as it is easy to use and has the important double leg gussets.

6.  Bottombumpers AIO size small: I bought these used and really love them.  They have a snap in soaker cuts down on the drying time.  They began fitting around 8 lbs.  The soaker is topped with bamboo velour which makes it extra soft.

7.  Bumgenius Bamboo Fitted in small: Another great discontinued product by BG.  We began using these once her umbilical stump fell off (so on day 7) and they are wonderful.  They are much more absorbant than the KL0s and is pretty trim for a fitted.  I really have no idea why these were discontinued as they were not replaced with a similar BG product.  These do take a little bit longer to dry, but overall the dry time isn't bad.

8.  Dream-Eze AIO size small: This is a pretty trim AIO that we haven't had any leaks with yet.  They take a little bit longer to dry, but I like that they are made with organic fabrics. 

9.  Lil Joeys AIO by RaR: I almost forgot about these because we used them for like oh, 2 days.  I am glad that I bought them either on sale or used because they were a big waste.  I would say that I basically hate these diapers, but they are just too itty bitty and cute to hate.  However, I would say to not waste your money and just pass.  This diaper leaked (pee and poo) each time we tried to use it.

10.  Fuzzibunz Perfect Size in small: I have only used this once so far and the one time I used it, it leaked poo out the leg.  The size small is supposed to begin fitting at 7 lbs, but that doesn't seem to be the case for us.  I had the leg setting snapped down as small as possible and it seemed to be a good fit, but maybe she just isn't the right size yet.  I will try this one again in a week or so to see if it works better.

11.  Fishnoodles AIO: These are now called Bright Star Baby, but anyway, this is another AIO that has a snap in soaker.  These dry really fast and are pretty darn absorbant.  I like that the soaker is extra long so that you can fold down it however you like.

12.  GMD prefolds: Prefolds are super easy to me, but the baby hates them!  They are so bulky on her right now (even in the newborn size) that she can't pull up her legs how she likes.  (TMI warning: this makes it very difficult for her to go poo.)  I'd prefer not to listen to her scream like crazy when she needs to go #2, so we aren't really using these right now.

Wow, I sure have quite the variety of diapers!  If I had it to do over again, I would buy:
1. KL0s with doublers
2. BG Bamboo fitteds
3. BG 3.0 AIO XS
4. Thirsties Duo wrap in size 1
5. RaR NB cover

She is already growing out of her NB dipes, so that is part of why we have such a variety so far.  Because I can't resist, here is a picture of Genevieve in her first cloth diaper (a KL0 with a Thirsties Duo Cover):

5 comments:

  1. KL0s were our favorites too, with a Thirsties cover. For our next baby (not conceived yet!) I'm hoping to try prefolds and some of the BG sized AIOs. They did come out with a different version of those. Glad CDing is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What, no CD service man to come and take the yuckie ones and give you nice clean folded new ones? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! You kill me Marlyn! You little lady is so darn cute. Love the blog and the pic! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They still have bumgenius newborns diapers! They just call them "newborn" instead of "xs".

    ReplyDelete