background

Friday, September 5, 2014

Fitness progress

I reached the point where something had to change.  I was always exhausted and on edge.  My 14 month old still doesn't sleep well, so I know that I am tired, but this exhaustion was something different.  I just didn't want to do anything.

A friend posted a link for a groupon for a month of bootcamp.  I hesitated because it would require me to get up around 5:30 in the morning.  It just seemed impossible.  However, then I changed my thinking to "let's give this a try for a month, maybe it is the jump start I need."  So I bought the groupon.

Then came the first day of class.  I had a bit of trouble finding the location (thanks GPS) and once I arrived, I was still seriously debating about leaving.  Thankfully I decided to stay.  I was worried that the trainers would be more like drill sergeants, so I was nervous.  I received a warm welcome from my trainer and started to relax.  

At first, the plan was to go 2-3 times a week.  After my first class, I decided that I should go everyday so that my body would adjust to getting up early everyday.  Plus, exercise everyday is a good thing.  I found that working out early actually gives me more energy and starts my day on a positive note.

I will say that after my first few classes, I felt awful.  Not only was I sore, but I was very nauseous.  I figured that feeling would pass and I was correct. I started going 5-6 days a week for the 45 min bootcamp.  After 6 weeks, I could definitely see some changes and was happy with my progress.  

I knew I was going to have to take the month of July off bc of traveling and such, so I planned on starting a Whole30 in August.  I started researching and looking up recipes in May.  I checked out lots of books and cookbooks from the library to determine what was right for me.  

I read It Starts with Food and wasn't sure how exactly I would be able to complete the Whole30.  No grains, breads, pasta for 30 days?  How in the world would I do this?  I was already dairy free, so that part wasn't hard, but the grains and sugars were very intimidating.

I started stocking my pantry with things like coconut flour, almond flour, coconut milk, ghee, etc.  (If you are looking for a good place to buy stuff like this, I highly recommend vitacost.  Referral link: http://goo.gl/OplHv9.  Don't forget to use ebates!  (Another referral link: http://www.ebates.com/rf.do?referrerid=yyu9RTW6T6hs6lJv%2FeSZqg%3D%3D&eeid=26471)

According to the ISWF book, the only fruit I was supposed to consume were green apples and green bananas.  I was also not supposed to use any honey or drink smoothies.  I will say that I did not stick with those couple of rules.  Morning smoothies were very helpful for me and on Saturdays, I would make coconut flour pancakes.  Other than that, I was able to stick with it.

For anyone that knows me, you will understand how huge this is for me.  I ate a lot of bread and pasta.  I used to eat a lot of candy, but that stopped after having children.  I drank soda and ate junk food every now and then.  We used to eat out a few times a week.  We ate out once in August and that was completely planned.  I am thrilled with how I feel.  We are going to continue eating a Paleo lifestyle while at home and will limit dining out to two times a month.  And yes, this includes lunches too.  No more Chick-Fil-A for me!

I also signed up for a year of bootcamp.  I am only a couple of months in and am excited to see changes over the coming months.  I used to go to the gym a lot, but never saw results.  I am now seeing results.  I am healthier.  When I started, I couldn't hold a plank for more than 15 sec.  Now I can easily do a minute and have made it to the two minute mark a couple of times.  I am seeing muscle definition.  My waist and chest have gotten smaller (this has never happened at the gym before).  I am stronger.  Chris now says that I am more fit than him and I have to agree.  :)

Now for the numbers:
Body fat: down 6% (it is now under 20% and I am soooo happy with that)
Weight: down about 13-14 lbs.  My weight fluctuates a lot, so this changes.
Waist: down 8"
Hips: down 2 1/4"
Thighs: down 1"
Arms: down 1 1/4"
Underarm (top of chest): down 5"
Bust: down 4"
Underbust (bra band area): down 2"

In the photos, I am wearing the same shorts.  I had to wear a different shirt, because the gray shirt is now longer than my shorts.  That wouldn't exactly work.





No comments:

Post a Comment