background

Monday, February 2, 2015

Whole 30 Round 2 and Fitness Progress Update


First off, what is whole 30?  Feel free to read about it here.  In short, it is no dairy, grains, legumes, sugar, added sweeteners like honey or syrup, or alcohol for 30 days.  Basically, nothing processed.  You make pretty much everything from scratch, including mayo and ketchup.

I did my first whole 30 back in August.  Feel free to read about it here.  However, it was more of a Paleo 30 than a whole 30.  It was still a huge change for me, nutrition wise, so I don't want to discount that experience.

However, after not eating the best during the holidays, I was ready for a reset.  I had been eating Paleo at home, but again, with the holidays, I didn't eat as well.  I decided that I would do a whole 30 in January and I would follow the rules and not cheat.

It was definitely hard.  Sugar is a difficult addiction to break.  My worst day was day 10.  We took the kids to a friend's kids' birthday party.  There was delicious smelling pizza and yummy looking cake and cupcakes.  I actually had to take a step outside for a few minutes because the smells were too much.  I started to get light headed just from the smell.  When I got home, I looked up the whole 30 timeline, and sure enough, day 10 is the worst day.  It is the day that the majority of quitters quit.  Thank goodness I took a step outside instead of giving in to temptation.

My cravings were very intense for about 18 days.  The worst time of day was in the afternoon, around 3 pm.  I also wanted something sweet after dinner, but those cravings were not as bad.  After about 18 days, I started to feel much better.

Oh, I did experience the "hangover" that is typical around day 3.  This time though, it only lasted a few hours.  I made myself get up and go to the gym and just drank a ton of water.  It passed.  :)

I followed all of the rules 99.9% of the time.  The only rule that I broke was regarding smoothies.  A few days into the program, I was a raging, cranky mess.  Then I realized that I had stopped taking my fermented cod liver oil (FCLO) because I normally put it in a smoothie.  That afternoon, I made a smoothie and had half a shot glass of smoothie with my FCLO.  My mood improved shortly after that.  So yes, I had a half a shot glass of smoothie every day.  Smoothies are not whole 30 approved even though my ingredients were.  Other than that, I followed the rules, so I will call this a success.

Results from the whole30: very few cravings now.  It is so nice not to crave sugar, bread, and all of the bad stuff.  Things taste different now too.  I have more energy and am overall less moody.  I'll get to the numbers results in a minute.

Things that were helpful to me with this whole 30.  I started making the Against All Grain Banana Nut Porridge for breakfast.  I found that this filled me up and was easier to make than my normal breakfast of 3 eggs, bacon, and veggies or fruit.  Lots of times I would have my egg, bacon, and veggie meal for lunch instead.  I try to keep dinners as simple as possible.  I wash and cut all of my veggies on the weekend.  I spiralize my sweet potatoes in a bulk batch as well.  They keep for a few days and it makes dinner prep and clean up so much easier.  I meal plan 2 weeks at a time.  This is key for me to stay on track and on budget.  I began to eat a Lara bar before my 6:15 am workout.

I started drinking sparkling water with a squeeze of fresh lime with dinner.  I used to enjoy a beer with dinner, but the sparkling water is a fantastic swap.  I started drinking herbal tea without sweetener.  (This is crazy to me.  I always loved to put a giant spoonful of honey in my tea.)  Another thing I discovered is that I love coffee.  I have never been a big coffee drinker because it upsets my stomach.  Turns out it wasn't the coffee that was the issue, it was the crap I put in the coffee.  Now I blend a tablespoon of coconut cream with my coffee in the magic bullet.  It gets nice and foamy, just like a latte.  Tastes great and doesn't hurt my tummy.  Big win!

What I love about the Whole 30 is that you shouldn't be hungry.  Yes, you will have cravings, but cravings are not the same as hunger.

Now for the numbers and pictures.  I will say that I don't see a huge difference between the September and January pictures, but my clothes tell a different story.  :)  (Also, I look better with a tan.  Lol.)

I go to bootcamp five days a week and started going in May of 2014.  Since May 2014, I have lost a total of 27 inches and 16.2 pounds.  I am 5'2".  Breakdown of numbers:
Weight: 16.2 pounds
Body fat: 6.7%
BMI: 2.7
Underarm: 4.5"
Bust: 4.5"
Underbust: 3"
Waist: 7.5"
Hips: 3"
Thigh: 2.75"
Bicep: 1.75"

From my January Whole 30, I lost a total of 7 inches and 5.8 pounds.
Weight: 5.8 pounds
Body fat: 2.7%
BMI: 1
Underarm: 1.5"
Bust: 1.25"
Underbust:1"
Waist: 1"
Hips: 1"
Thigh: .75"
Bicep: .5"

It has been great to see improvement in my workouts.  When I started bootcamp, I couldn't hold a plank for 10 seconds.  I have now been able to hold a plank for 5 minutes.  I can consistently hold a plank for a minute and a half.  My form has gotten better.  My stamina has improved.  When I do squats, I do a full squat.

In the September photos, I am wearing the same shorts as the original photos.  The January photos are different shorts.  :)

 









1 comment: