background

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Chicken, Garlic, & Sundried Tomato Pasta

I am finally able to tolerate grocery shopping and cooking again (Chris and my bank account are thankful for that).  This is one of my favorite recipes.  It is kind of like a healthy alfredo that isn't nearly as bad for you.  My poor gallbladder cannot handle alfredo sauce, so this is a tasty alternative.  Let me know what you think!

Original recipe:
1 16 oz package of farfalle pasta
1/2 cup butter or margarine
3 cloves minces garlic
1/2 cup milk
1 Tbsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2 Tbsp grated romano cheese
1 can (10.75 oz) condensed cream of chicken soup
3 cooked chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, rehydrated in water

1) In a large pot with boiling, salted water, cook pasta until al dente. Drain.
2) In a large saucepan, melt butter.  Add garlic and cook until brown.  Add the cream of chicken soup & milk, stirring until smooth.  Stir in dried parsley, salt, and ground fresh pepper.  Simmer 2-3 minutes.  Add chicken & hydrated sun-dried tomatoes.  Simmer 6-8 minutes.  Mix in grated Romano cheese.
3) Toss pasta with chicken mix.

My alterations:
1) I don't use 1/2 cup of butter.  I use 2/3 of a stick instead and use more condensed soup.
2) I LOVE sun-dried tomatoes and like to have 1 with each bite.  I use a whole bag of them but I have no idea what the measurement is.
3) I only usually use 2 chicken breasts instead of 3.
4) I increase the garlic, salt, & pepper since I use more condensed cream of chicken soup.

Nutritional info (when made without my alterations):
Calories: 438
Protein: 21.5 g
Fat: 19 g
Sodium: 629 mg
Cholesterol: 68 mg
Carbs: 46.2 g
Fiber: 2.3 g

No comments:

Post a Comment